Thomas Cook fall: Thousands of tourists leave Turkey

ANTALYA, Turkey 

Nearly 5,000 British tourists have left Turkey following the collapse of the U.K. tour operator Thomas Cook earlier this week, officials said Friday.

“A total of 4,920 tourists have returned to their countries via 21 flights,” said the governor’s office of the Mediterranean resort city of Antalya.

Efforts are ongoing for safe return of British tourists who came to Antalya with Thomas Cook reservations, the statement added.

The major British holiday operator and airline has “ceased trading with immediate effect,” British authorities announced on Monday morning.

The collapse of the iconic 178-year-old British tour operator came due to financial difficulties and failure to secure a deal of around £1.1 billion ($1.37 billion).

Around 150,000 people will be affected by the canceled flights and holiday bookings.

Leave a Reply