Colombian Nationwide Strike Committee announced Wednesday a new wave of protests, ruling out the possibility of an expanded dialogue proposed by President Ivan Duque.
New mobilizations will begin in tribute to Dylan Cruz, an 18-year-old student who died after being injured in clashes with members of Colombia’s Riot Police in Bogota during protests against government policies.
Three other protesters aside from Dilan have died during the protests, along with three police officers.
The members of the Central Workers’ Union (CUT) expressed their desire to maintain “a direct dialogue only with the head of state,” after a meeting with Duque, the Caracas-based TV channel TeleSur reported.
Duque’s proposal was a “great national dialogue” that aims to promote conversations with representatives of oversight bodies, including Procurator General Fernando Carrillo, Attorney General Fabio Espitia and members of small and medium business unions.
Diogenes Orjuela, head of CUT, stressed that the union submitted 13 proposals to the Duque government so that the demonstrations can be halted.
The strike committee made it clear to the president that they seek to discuss these points directly with the National Government through some defined mechanisms, Orjuela said.
“We have a clear will that has also been expressed by President Ivan Duque, to continue the dialogue and not let that contact be lost,” Diego Molano, the coordinator of the national dialogue said.
He added that the government will continue with the agenda of the great national dialogue and “it will come up with solutions”.
The Nationwide Strike Committee comprises of unions, students, peasants, and indigenous movements.
Last week, nationwide protests began in Colombia against government policies affecting taxes on the rich, retirement pension rights and fight with corruption.
Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.